September 19, 2009

On the road again (to Poltava)

So Erin and I took the early train to Poltava, where she is assigned. We got to sit across from each other but Erin was stuck next to a rather large and unfortunate man. Who, did not say anything to her until he felt the need to take of his jacket and place it on the hook next to her head. It (the jacket not the man) made several attempts to cuddle with her throughout the journey. I laughed. Erin did not.

If you can't hear on the video, this is the Dnieper river, which bisects Kiev and the citizens use for ice fishing in the winter.

After a few days of recovery from serious jet lag I went with Erin to English club and helped with an all boys English class. If you don't know Erin she got her degree in English and Education from Union and is living in Ukraine as an English teacher. Things are still slow for her right now because their school system is just getting back into the swing of things. Even so, the first school I went to with Erin, we were with the teacher for ten minutes before she began talking about how awful capitalism is. Welcome to the Soviet Uni...I mean Ukraine :)

The people are really lovely here and I like Poltava very much. Erin did have to coach me on using public transportation. You have to be very firm and pushy or you never get anywhere. The autobuses and marshrutkas (smaller buses) are often packed. My first time on I think I spooned with half of the city. I'm actually quite tight with the citizens now.

Dasvidanya!

No comments:

Post a Comment