September 17, 2009

Of course I caused a ruckus in a foreign country...

Hey guys,
I am so glad you've come to check out my blog. I am just getting started so please be patient with my non-blogging skills.
In the meantime, to entertain you, I will tell you about my first few minutes in Amsterdam.
I flew in at 6:15 in the morning, and after dealing with cranky security (who can blame them) I went downstairs to the train. I got in the city around 6:50 when it was still pretty dark. As soon as you leave the train station you are greeted by THOUSANDS of bicycles. Everyone bikes in Amsterdam; youngin's, business men in suits, old ladies in ponchos, everyone.
So with my new camcorder I took a short video to show the sea of bikes. I finished the video, turned around and promptly knocked over a bike next to me. However, when you knock over one bike it begins a domino procession, so I stood there helplessly as bike after bike toppled.
Luckily, it was 6:50 and only two people saw the crazy, sleep-deprived, backpack toting American scrambling around to fix Bicycle Disaster 2009. So I spent my first ten minutes in the city picking up bikes.
Welcome to Europe Kat...this is going to be interesting.

4 comments:

  1. Hello! I'm so glad you're doing this! And you had me giggling already! Couldn't get the video yet; but I'll keep checking. Have fun! And we'll be praying for you! Hugs, Jeanyne

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh Kat! Sounds like you have had an excellent adventure so far. I'm glad you are keeping the blog and I LOVE your layout. Hope you have an awesome time. Try to stay clear of bikes...both moving and stationary.
    <3 you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ehh...half the time folks don't even care about the bike. (Granted I'm speaking from Asian experience...which very well could be, and most likely is, different from European culture.) With that said...make sure you carry around some form of protection (pepper spray? :)) in case this bike-tipping happens to happen again. :) Give Erin a big hug from me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahaha that's so awesome!!! Too bad you didn't get a video of the bikes toppling over! I'm so excited you're doing a blog so I can live vicariously through your awesome travels :-) Hope you're having a great time!!

    ReplyDelete