September 22, 2009

Nyet! How do you say upside down in Russian?

So yesterday Erin took me to the local TB hospital to do weekly Bible stories and play with the kids. Who could say no? Such cute little faces...and I know you will be disappointed to learn I did not take a single picture, however I was a little preoccupied with the super cute kids! (We are probably going to return next week and I will do my best to snap some shots.)

*Random fact-orphanages cannot operate in the summer due to some governmental rule, therefore they are forced to find places to put the orphans during the summer, like camps, tb hospitals, etc. So during the summer around 15 healthy kids are sent here.

School is in session so there were no "healthy" kids with us, and we were down in numbers because some of the older ones were in class. Yet we still managed to have our hands full. I spent plenty of time with Artyome, trying to teach him which side of the stamps to ink, which is more difficult than you would think considering I only know "yes" and "no" in Russian.

However I was excellent during singing/dancing time because you do not have to speak Russian to be able to hop like bunnies, fly like birds, or chomp like crocodiles. Who knew? During this time we were interrupted by a live band next door (you can hear it below). So after we said goodbye to the children we went next door.

There we passed by the Mayor and Archbishop of Poltava on their way out. Apparently there was an art opening/celebration for a national poet, and the docent, once discovering we were Americans, made sure we received the FULL tour. Here is a video of some of the folk crafts with the music in the background-enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment