October 6, 2009

What I've Left Behind

Tonight, while you are sleeping, I will begin the next leg of my journey. I have spent three weeks here in Ukraine and now I am traveling to Riga, Latvia; Nice, France and Rome. Of course the prospect of this journey is exciting and new but it is also bittersweet. There are many funny, challenging, and difficult things you encounter while living in Ukraine. I have truly loved the people, the food (kinda ;) , the culture, and the sights.

However the hardest thing to leave behind is Erin. I am leaving my dear friend and were she not also traveling (to renew her visa) I would change my ticket just to stay here another week. At this moment it feels like the most tragical thing, but I will remember true friends are always together in spirit...especially when there is a bond over great literature. :)

So I want to share some previously unpublished, yet wonderful images of Erin.
This is at our favorite pizza store. Please notice the background decor...and Erin's excitement over pizza.

In Ukraine women are not allowed to sit on cold/hard, this includes the ground or any marble surfaces. You will be reproached because sitting there causes infertility. Of course. Therefore I title this image "Barren Erin"
Banana muffin night...they were scrumdiddlyumptious!
Pre-Aviation Museum. Who knew camo spanned so many cultural barriers?


1 comment:

  1. Kat...I love this post (despite the slightly embarrassing/ awkward photos...I should be used to that by now. I do it to myself.). It made me tear up and then laugh while remembering "just jam", Mark Driscoll, the bounce house, and chasing trains. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete