October 6, 2009

Kat Douglas: Master of Public Transportation...sort of.

I do not have a lot of experience with public transportation. In fact I have several embarrassing stories (pre Ukraine) that I would rather not share. However, now that I have been to the UK, Netherlands, and Ukraine I am feeling more accustomed. For example, I can tell the bus lady that I would like two tickets but Erin still has to tell me what bus to ride.

In Ukraine we have three choices of transportation. Choice number one-the bus. These run frequently but are usually packed. And by packed I mean they make sardines tins look roomy. Once, Erin had a man wipe his nose on the back of her hand. No joke. In Ukraine they say:
How many Ukrainians can you fit on a bus?
-One More

Choice number two-the trolley. This option is a bit cheaper and it the popular choice for babushkas. There is an interesting rule of thumb when dealing with old women. If there is no seat available you must give up yours, however don't let them cut in line. They seem fragile but are actually quite spry and ready to take advantage of lax Americans.

Choice number three and my personal favorite is the marshrutka. It is smaller than a bus but bigger than a van. They don't always come to a full stop and yes, I have run after one. They also refuse to impose a passenger limit, so sometimes you stand bending at a 45 degree angle. Marshrutkas love to drive in the middle of the road and fly down cobblestone which turns us passengers to bobble heads.

One day Erin and I were riding to the bazaar in a marshrutka which we had run after. We were seated in the backwards section, gazing at all the other happy Ukrainians. As we briefly slowed for the bus stop I noticed a man running to catch us. It is not fun, the poor soul. However no one else noticed, by which I mean they all noticed and didn't care. So I yelled to the driver (who was one foot away) "Hey, that man is running!" In English.

Erin laughed her head off. The Ukrainians stared. The driver actually stopped. And the man that made it on has no idea he owes it to the only person in the entire country who doesn't speak Russian.


A roomy bus and yes, they still got the door closed.

No comments:

Post a Comment